Ok, so it starts off innocent enough, I caught a glance at this gif animation:
Is that Stephen Colbert at a rave? That is awesome!
So I’ll just watch the episode on the official website. :-)
GOD DAMN IT!
Ok, not a problem I’ll watch it on youtube
youtube.com (2012 edit: video has since been taken down)
Camcorder recording a television screen, that’s alright I guess, but I’d rather get the actual show itself.
- Can’t legally watch the show in any shape or form
- Head to bittorrent sites, found the show! :D
- 0 seeders :/
- Stumbling upon a random related website I notice the embed video works!
- I’ll just grab the URL of the stream and download it, too easy :)
- Spend an hour looking for an inbuilt header checker/stream finder for chrome + firefox
- Spend an hour or 2 looking for a stream finder for ubuntu
- Try 2-3 different programs, including get_flash_video and rtmpdump
- Wireshark! I’ll just use wireshark and grab the URL from the packets themselves!
- Ok. ok. I can’t see it. It’s an encrypted RTMP stream. O.O
- Notice all of the other programs are windows only
- Login to windows, proceed to download all 40 different stream/header/rtmp finders
- 2 of them actually work but refuse to download because Copy protected files can’t be legally downloaded? wtf?
- It’s now 3-4 hours after point 1, I DON’T EVEN CARE ANY MORE JUST GIVE ME THE DAMN FILE
- The alternative Replay Media Capture offers is Replay Video Capture, it’s pretty much just fraps. http://applian.com/replay-video-capture/
- Oh ma gawd it works
- The result of my 5 hours of effort:
Thanks a lot Viacom/Comedy Central, serves me right for trying to watch your content.